Friday, February 18, 2011

Sewing Project!

There are a few things I have always wanted to learn how to do. Play the piano and learn to use a sewing machine. So, for Christmas I got a sewing machine and ever since my very talented and sewing savvy sister, Liz, has been promising to teach me what to do with said sewing machine, but we always do something else while she is at our house. Well, now it's February and Liz came to stay with us today. She showed up with a big square of cloth and said, "Go get your sewing machine, I am teaching you how to sew!" And so she taught me how to put the machine together..... meaning putting the string and the little bobbin on along with the foot pedal.

After that she explained what all the knobs did and away I went stitching lines across a square of cloth. I thought we would be done after that, but then she asked me what I want to make. My first sewing lesson turned out to be my first project! I decided that since I know so many people who are having babies I should learn to make burp cloths. So, I found my favorite type of burp cloth to use as a pattern and about an hour and a half later my first ever sewing project was complete!



They are a little rough around the edges, but I am so proud of them and so excited to do more with my sewing machine!

4 comments:

Tiffany E. Light said...

Those are pretty stinking cute! =] And they turned out really nicely!

Alisha said...

oh cute! and i like that pattern too, seems like it would stay where its supposed to better...

What a good sister you have!

JW said...

Thanks guys! It was really fun and I totally agree Liz is awesome! And Tiff I am glad you like them because they will probably be yours! :)

Sally said...

Yay! Good job!
I'll have to come to your next sewing session and learn a thing or two.