Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day!


Valentine's Day is a cheesy, Hallmark florists and Hershey's make lots of money holiday that is TOTALLY overrated! HOWEVER! I did enjoy this wonderful day of the year as it has been the first "real" date (meaning we went to dinner, just us, and a movie, just us, and all in one night!) we have gone on in............................................. you get the idea :). Frank and I are realists....perhaps too real at that, AND we are cheap! Combine those two qualities on Valentine's Day and you get dinner paid with a gift card you got from your in-laws for your anniversary (yes we did hang on to if for 2 and 1/2 months before using it) and a movie at the dollar theatre with licorice and peanut butter m&m's we bought at Wal-Mart while waiting an hour to be seated at Chili's and then hid them in my purse because we won't pay theatre price for them OR the movie :) (THANK YOU Janice and Bill! We never would have spoiled ourselves with the dinner we had last night without that gift certificate!) It was the best time we have had in a long time. Dinner was DELICIOUS! Chili's is by far one of my favorite restaurants and mostly because of their spinach-artichoke dip and chips appetizer! YUM! We got through our appetizer and took most of our dinner home to eat for lunch AND dinner today! We definitely got our moneys worth! The movie was AWESOME and we laughed through it while holding hands and eating our stow-away candy. So that is the cheap side of us, but the realists in us know that Valentine's Day plain stinks for many people. Why? Because relationships aren't a one day holiday proven with roses, chocolate and money spent! I like to think I celebrate having Frank as the love of my life each and every day because I know that is how he treats me. I personally do not like getting flowers. They remind me of funerals and they are WAY to expensive for how fast they die and I am NOT a chocolate person. This makes Valentine's Day tricky or so Frank thought. Over time I have finally convinced him that I would so much rather have a loving, caring husband who treats me like a princess everyday of the year and leaves me love notes on my bed side table, surprises me with a volleyball game for our date just because he knows I will love it, takes me dancing in the middle of no where to the music playing on the radio and makes us hot chocolate to drink while we cuddle up on the couch and watch a movie. If you think the romantics on Valentine's Day are bad, they have got nothing on Frank! He is my true love because I am his Valentine everyday. So, for Valentine's Day I got the everlasting, unconditional love of my husband with a hand written declaration of love and the reassurance that the gifts I have been receiving at random all year long are so much more than material. They are memories of my amazing, thoughtful husband that I will cherish forever. So, if you are one of those people who thinks your Valentine's Day was a rip off, I challenge you to look more closely at who you have and what they have already given you.

No comments: